Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cucumber Harvest / Joining the Bee Line

When I was hand pollinating the cucumbers this morning I noticed at least ten bees buzzing around in the garden. They were having alot fun with all of the squash. Yes! This means that I don't have to hand pollinate as much any more. I won't get too excited though. I'll have to wait to see if the squash they pollinating actually grows.



Today was also my first cucumber harvest. I think all of the hand pollinating paid off. I expect to have at least five cucumbers by the end of next week.


Picklebush Cucumbers (about 4.5")

Bush Champion Cucumber (7.5")

Bush Champion Cucumber on the vine

Picklebush Cucumber on the vine

Another Picklebush Cucumber on the vine

3 comments:

MLE said...

Hello! I really enjoyed reading through your blog posts about your vegetable garden project. I just started my own raised garden this year and your dedication (especially with hand-pollenating your cucumbers) really inspired me! Why did your posts end after May 2008?

All the best,
MLE

Al said...

Wow, Thanks! The postings stopped because I moved to an apartment with no sun to grow anything. :-(

Now, I'm growing plants under a light stand. Check out my pictures on Picasa at https://picasaweb.google.com/alciemaxwell

MLE said...

Ahhh. That's a shame. But the photos of your violets are gorgeous. By the way, I'm from the DC area, and I noticed in your profile pictures that you're a Skins fan. HAIL! :)